Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lessons Well Learned

                                                              Our God is so awesome!

As the summer is coming to a close, I sit here trying to fathom the last eight weeks of my life. All the things I've experienced, people I've met, and lessons I've learned would never have been possible if I had spent the summer back in small town Pennsylvania. Being stripped of practically all comforts of home, put into a completely new group of people, and immersing myself in a totally foreign culture really does something to a person. Something remarkable, something different from any other experience. Something beautiful.

My experience this summer has no doubt taught me countless lessons. Lessons that are continuously impacting my present, and will impact my future as well. I am amazed at how much I have been taught, not by anything of my own doing, but by the people I spend my days with. Here is a list of some important lessons I've learned throughout the past 2 months...

1. If your clothes don't have any cement on them, or any other visible signs of dirt for that matter, they can be considered clean and folded and put away.
2. Washing machines can save 3-4 hours of hard labor and prevent "pruney" hands.
3. It's not necessary to go to a grocery store to buy fruit; just walk outside to the nearest tree.
4. Baby powder actually does have a use... in fact, it works for pretty much EVERYTHING!
5. Two minute cold showers have never been so satisfying.
6. Finding random lizards crawling up the walls is nothing to freak out about.
7. Time is an irrelevant term; it doesn't matter and no one keeps track of it.
8. Life can never be too busy to stop and say "wha gwon" (hi) to a friend or neighbor.
9. Regardless of whether there is food for tomorrow or not, God will ALWAYS come through.
10. The beauty of love is far more splendid than one could imagine.

Ok, so some of these are quite silly I know. (And for the record, I do bathe and wash my clothes). Nonetheless, it is simple times like these that have taught me some of the best lessons in life. I now appreciate the little things in life, such as the value in close friendships. It's funny how small things like this turn out to be the very things that make life worth living. Who knew, right?

God put me in Harmons this summer for a reason. Not so I could come in here with my cape and save the world. Not by far! God put me in this situation so I could be His hands and feet. God put me here to show others His love. But mostly, God put me here to show me His perfect plan for my life. Although I do not always completely understand and know I never really will, this summer has taught me that God is always working in my life and in the world around me, and that His beautiful plan is perfect! :)

With love,

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment